Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Thing #22 Downloading books

I love reading books. Love it. There's nothing quite like curling up (winter/fall) or stretching out (summer/spring) with a good book. I can't imagine doing that with a computer or a handheld device. I also can't concentrate on the story when listening to an audiobook. I'm just far too visual I suppose. I've tried listening to audiobooks in the past and if I'm in my house, doing something else (cooking, on the treadmill) my mind wanders and since I don't have a long commute it would take me forever to listen to a book in my car. I tried listening to a relatively short book-On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan (which was excellent and I adore McEwan) and although I loved the story (I had already read it) and it was read by Ian McEwan who has a most excellent voice I couldn't make it more than an hour into it. I loved hearing it read by him but I just couldn't make it through. I need music in my car.
I suppose downloadable books are great if you travel a lot or can do the whole audiobook thing without your mind wandering. Our patrons with long commutes absolutely love them and so they are a wonderful way to keep people in touch with literature that might otherwise have lost their connection to 'books'. I've also found that some students that dislike reading are willing to listen to a book.
I didn't find any of the sites I visited for this Thing particularly 'user friendly' though.

No comments: